Bluefin Robotics Chief Engineer*
Company: General Dynamics
Posted on: June 8, 2021
Responsibilities for this Position
Bluefin Robotics Chief Engineer*
Job ID: 2021-48849
Required Clearance: Secret
Posted Date: 5/18/2021
Employment Type: Full Time
Hiring Company: General Dynamics Mission Systems
Bachelor's degree in engineering or a related technical field
and is required plus a minimum of 10 years of relevant experience;
or Master's degree in engineering or a related technical field plus
a minimum of 8 years of relevant experience.
Department of Defense Secret security clearance is required at
time of hire. Applicants selected will be subject to a U.S.
Government security investigation and must meet eligibility
requirements for access to classified information. Due to the
nature of work performed within our facilities, U.S. citizenship is
Responsibilities for this Position
Bluefin Robotics is seeking a Chief Engineer to lead the
delivery, sustainment, and future improvements on a current
Unmanned Underwater Vehicle (UUV) program. Candidates should have
extensive subsea domain technical expertise and the proven ability
to make technical decisions from a position of leadership.
- Technical team leadership and program execution: execute
program with a focus on technical execution to achieve program
milestones on schedule and on budget
- Work effectively with the Program Manager and Deputy Program
Manager Engineering to set program priorities while balancing
resource, cost, schedule and technical constraints to achieve
- Lead the team to deliver quick, cost-effective, and reliable
technical solutions to challenging technical issues factoring in
resource, cost, schedule and technical constraints and
- Lead and manage the program with multiple baselines and tasks
ranging including baseline management, system production,
capability enhancement integration and Government tests.
- Operate and practice disciplined systems engineering processes
for the entire program life cycle: CONOPS, requirements, design,
assembly, integration, test, production and analysis.
- Quickly build schedule, cost and resource plans to complete
program tasks including resolving technical issues, integrating new
capabilities, and conducting tests. Also assess the plans' risks,
tradeoffs and program impacts.
- Make sound technical and program decisions to achieve program
- Effectively communicate (written and oral) technical reports,
discussions and presentations with the team, independent technical
experts, US Government /US Navy customers and GD senior
- Empower and mentor technical team members to excel, grow and
achieve program milestones.
- Provide technical oversight of subcontractor tasks.
- Collaborate with AUS Chief Engineer and other GDMS technical
leads to develop technology roadmaps to identify, propose, manage
Internal Research and Development (IRAD) investments and projects
to benefit and other GD programs.
- Identify and propose customer funded investments in new
technologies to integrate as future system capabilities.
- Lead, support and contribute to new business pursuits and
proposals to capture additional scope related to the program and
Autonomous Undersea Systems (AUS) business.
- Leverage and reach out to the larger GD organization for
additional resources and technical expertise as needed.
- Actively and proactively manage and mitigate technical
- Identify, anticipate, and assess, technical risks as early as
- Develop and actively mitigate technical and program risks.
- Build and maintain strong customer relationships:
- Maintain clear, honest and open communications with both
internal (GD) and external (US Govt, US Navy) stakeholders.
- Effectively communicate technical issues, impacts, corrective
actions and execution plans to both internal (GD) and external (US
Govt, US Navy) stakeholders.
- Establish and maintain technical credibility through
exceptional technical expertise and leadership.
- Understand and anticipate customer's concerns and challenges
and propose creative solutions.
- Some (25%) Travel is required.
- Some Off-shore testing is required.
- SECRET Security clearance is required.
Experience and Qualifications:
- Technical leadership experience working multiple project and
programs throughout a system or product life cycle including
concept design, requirements development, detailed design,
assembly, integration, test, analysis and production.
- Strong track record of solving complex problems, building,
testing, delivering complex systems and achieving program
milestones on time and on budget.
- Technical expertise and recognized technical leader (subject
matter expert) in one or more of the following technical areas:
naval architecture, SONAR systems, analog and digital electrical
hardware design and development, control systems & autonomy, signal
and image processing, artificial intelligence and machine
- Experience working on projects or programs with multiple
organizations including subcontractor technical oversight and
- At least 5 years of experience of technical project leadership
and management, large scale projects and programs preferred.
- At least 5 years of experience leading diverse,
multi-disciplinary teams to achieve program milestones.
- At least 5 years of experience effectively communicating
(written and oral) technical reports, presentations and discussions
with a diverse audience including the program team, technical
subject-matter experts, customers and senior leadership.
- Experience working on US Government and US Navy programs.
- Experience developing and testing undersea sensors, systems and
UUVs to verify requirements.
- Experience working designing, building, integrating and testing
SONAR sensor systems, preferably on more than one
- Acoustic signal processing and automated target recognition
algorithm development, data analysis and modeling and simulation
- Experience with MATLAB, R or similar data analysis software
- Demonstrated ability to understand and apply project leadership
principles including SPI/CPI, Earned Value, Cost Account Management
(CAM), and Statistical Process Controls for large complex
General Dynamics Mission Systems (GDMS) engineers a diverse
portfolio of high technology solutions, products and services that
enable customers to successfully execute missions across all
domains of operation. With a global team of 12,000+ top
professionals, we partner with the best in industry to expand the
bounds of innovation in the defense and scientific arenas. Given
the nature of our work and who we are, we value trust, honesty,
alignment and transparency. We offer highly competitive benefits
and pride ourselves in being a great place to work with a shared
sense of purpose. You will also enjoy a flexible work environment
where contributions are recognized and rewarded. If who we are and
what we do resonates with you, we invite you to join our high
General Dynamics is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action
Employer that is committed to hiring a diverse and talented
Keywords: General Dynamics, Quincy , Bluefin Robotics Chief Engineer*, Other , Quincy, Massachusetts
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!