Patient Service Specialist I
Company: Steward Health Care
Posted on: September 15, 2023
Location: Steward Medical Group - North Posted Date: 7/12/2023
Description: This position is to function as a member of the
administration team and complete assigned daily front end tasks to
ensure smooth day-today operations in the SMG physician practice.
The Patient Service Specialist must maintain a professional,
positive manner when talking with patients in-person, over the
phone, or via email. Responsibilities for PSS I:
- Answer calls and routes telephone calls appropriately; takes
messages, follows through with each message, ensuring that the
appropriate physician/staff member receives the information.
Provides routine information to callers and gives only authorized
medical advice from a provider.
- Provides a high level of customer service to all new and
existing patients of the practice.
- Creates patient cases and documents telephone calls and
messages into Athena or other EMR.
- Schedules patient appointments and appropriate testing for
patients as requested.
- Registers patients in EMR and verifies information including
demographics and obtains accurate health insurance information.
Conduct eligibility checks to ensure insurance is reflected
- Collects required insurance co-pays from patients including any
- Follows scheduling notes and direct schedules patient visits in
other SMG practices as advised.
- Performs pre-visit planning daily for all upcoming scheduled
appointments to include running insurance eligibility.
- Responsible to obtain prior authorizations and/or insurance
referrals as per practice need.
- Performs outreach to select patient groups as directed for
patient care and quality measurement/guidelines. Schedules
specialty appointments/testing as required.
- Performs work in EMR buckets as directed and per practice
- Responsible to inform manager of administrative supply needs or
assists with ordering.
- Follows up with providers on missing slips and creates claims
- Responsible to work assigned revenue cycle buckets as
- Must be able to work independently with little
- Adheres to SMG policies.
- Always uses discretion to ensure patient confidentiality.
- Performs other duties as requested Qualifications:
- Strong customer service excellence expected.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills required.
- High School Diploma or equivalent required.
- One to three years as a medical secretary preferred.
- Experience with EMR strongly preferred. (Athena a plus)
- Experience with Microsoft Office, Word, Excel, and Outlook
preferred. About Steward Health Care
Nearly a decade ago, Steward Health Care System emerged as a
different kind of health care company designed to usher in a new
era of wellness. One that provides our patients better, more
proactive care at a sustainable cost, our providers unrivaled
coordination of care, and our communities greater prosperity and
As the country's largest physician-led, minority-owned, integrated
health care system, our doctors can be certain that we share their
interests and those of their patients. Together we are on a mission
to revolutionize the way health care is delivered - creating
healthier lives, thriving communities and a better world.
Steward is among the nation's largest and most successful
accountable care organizations (ACO), with more than 5,500
providers and 43,000 health care professionals who care for 12.3
million patients a year through a closely integrated network of
hospitals, multispecialty medical groups, urgent care centers,
skilled nursing facilities and behavioral health centers.
Based in Dallas, Steward currently operates 33 hospitals across
Arizona, Arkansas, Florida, Louisiana, Massachusetts, Ohio,
Pennsylvania, and Texas.
For more information, visit www.steward.org. Steward Health Care is
proud to be a minority, physician owned organization. Diversity,
equity, inclusion and belonging are at the foundation of the care
we provide, the community services we support and all our
employment practices. We do not discriminate on the grounds of
race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability,
veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, and or
expression or any other non-job-related characteristic.
Keywords: Steward Health Care, Quincy , Patient Service Specialist I, Other , Quincy, Massachusetts
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!